Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Auction Buys

Don't have a lot of time to make a lengthy post. I just had to share these latest goodies I bought at an antique auction last week. This shipment was from Belgium & so I think I have some authentic pieces, I basically stole at pennies on the dollar! If they aren't authentic antiques, then "it's all good", because I just love 'em anyway!

Ok, here's my 1st blessing of a bargain.....

This is a vintage velvet crazy quilt. I don't think it's more than 50 years old or so. I could be wrong. There were some quilts handstitched from 1865 at this auction, they went for over $140-still bargain basement prices. However, I was looking for yard sale/throw away prices at this auction. I stole this at $20!!!! Can you believe it? I was shaking in my flip flops with excitement!

I have wanted one of these velvet crazy quilts, for years! I have even saved some of my older velvet dresses, to cut up in swatches, hoping to make one of these some distant day. I am soooo very thrilled at this find & consider myself beyond blessed, my cup runneth over!! I'm totally humbled by this experience!


This was my 2nd fave auction bargain...
I believe these are authentic salt glaze pieces from Germany/Belguim. There are no markings, other than 1/2 L etc. If you aren't familar with salt glaze & it's process, pop on over to Linda's blog at http://behindmyreddoor.blogspot.com/2009/05/it-all-started-in-1990.html
"Salt-glazed stoneware pottery was originally made hundreds of years ago in Germany and has been made in this country since the early American settlers started to fire it. Salt-glazed stoneware pottery is glazed during the firing process. When the kiln reaches a certain temperature, salt is thrown inside the kiln and it vaporizes. That vapor reacts with the silica in the clay to produce the glaze on the surface of the pottery."
There was a "lot" of 5 larger pitchers that were salt glaze. I couldn't gather myself to scrape together the pennies that they went for. However, I held out until the very end & saw these babies tucked away in a "box lot". Guess how much for the lot? $15!!!! So that's these oldies & a bunch of other Belguim/delft pieces for only fifteen american dollars! Woo Hoo!! I'm doing a happpy dance right now!! What a bargain!!!!
After the post holiday dust settles 'round here (4th of July celebrations) guess what Mama's up to, again? Rearranging my diningroom hutch! I think the tweaking has only just begun gals. I'm addicted to the primitives! Hope y'all have a blessed 4th of July of yer own! Check back when you can-I never know what adventures await!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love auctions! We live near Shipshewana Indiana and they have a huge antique auction every Wednesday. Usually 6-8 auctioneers going at the same time. My husband and I used to go at least once a summer and come home with antiques to add to our collection. We haven't been in a few years. Your post makes me want to plan a trip!

    I have always admired crazy quilts too. Yours looks like a great one! Congratulations on the find!! A few years back we added on a great room. With a big wall to fill, I made several crazy quilt squares and then sent them out to special people in my life and asked them each to add decorative stitching to their square for me. It was such fun as each square arrived back at the house. I then put them all togehter and assembled the quilt. It is a very special treasure to me.

    Love the pottery too! What a great day for you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you still have my address...cause you can pack that pottery up and send it to me! LOL
    I love it and what a deal!!!!!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quilt so much! My grandma used to make crazy quilts, and I'm lucky enough to have two of them. I like that yours is velvet, and I agree that you basically stole it! Your salt glaze pottery is really pretty too!
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,Love your quilt and pottery finds! Your right, who cares if there really authentic, they have a past, and you love them, that's all that matters! You have a good eye!
    Sorry I have been so self absorbed these days...but wanted to stop by and say Happy fourth! Hope your having a Wonderful Holiday Weekend filled with family and fun!
    Hugs, Christine

    ReplyDelete