Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fun Father's Day

The hubster is an outdoorsman. He simply comes alive when surround by nature. One of his favorite past times while in the field or woods is to pick blackberries. He eats them fresh, after plucking them from the tangles of the wild. I wanted to take the family for an outing blackberry pickin', hopefully for a father's day treat. Texas blackberry season came & went before we knew it. However, blueberries hit peak season over Father's Day weekend.


I'd wanted to pick blueberries with the boys for awhile. This was our year & we treated "Daddy" to a day on Blueberry Hill, in Edom Texas. I think we all found our thrill on blueberry hill!! It was a perfectly fun day. The country air just made us all breathe better. It was wonderful.


It was a hot morning and those berries were ripe for the pickin'!


The kids pickin' basically made up of one blueberry for the basket....5 for my mouth....move on. Eat blueberry left in basket and move on. Empty basket, no blueberries.


As it got hotter, the boys tired of the process quickly. We found shelter for them under several of the larger bushes & spread a blanket for them. They drank water, ate blueberries & played.


When we finally filled our buckets & went home, we'd picked over 13 quarts of blueberries! Yummy! Our freezer is filled now.




After all the hard work it was time to love on the best Dad in our world.


I thank God for such a loving, dedicated, hard working husband that is the sparkle behind both of my children's eyes! Happy Father's Day babe, I hope that I treated you well & you had some relaxation from the day....

4 comments:

  1. Amen sister!
    Those blueberries look yummy!!!!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you for popping in to my blog! I love blueberries so much, that I have some every day when they're available. I remember going to a farm and picking them when I was little, and I hated it! It was always too hot and sticky. I love your blog, and all of your primitives! My sister would go nuts, because she collects crocks and firkins and all that good stuff. I'm going to snoop around your blog some more now. Have a great day!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...that looks fun! I had to look up on my Atlas where Edom is and I found the Blueberry Farm listed. VERY COOL! I live in Houston and saw an add recently for a blueberry farm outside of Conroe.

    I popped over to your blog and am enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice treat to give your husband! I'm sure those were some of the sweetest blueberries he's tasted. I am looking forward to being your textile "swap partner"!

    ReplyDelete