Friday, January 8, 2010

Intellectual Kindergarten Conversation

Yesterday was the 1st day back to school for my boys. When Ben got home & I sat him down for his snack, I began to ask him about his day. The conversation progressed as follows:


"Hey Mom, didya know we have no school because a king got shot?"

(God rest your soul king...)




"what?"






"yea, this king got shot see & so we have no school."









I thought about this for awhile & tried to think like a Kindergartener myself. "O, you know what you DO have a day off from school coming up. Martin Luther King Day."






"so, he got shot & we don't have school, because he died & all..."





I teetered between either giggling at the reasoning of my precious 5 year old, or getting a lil' concerned 'bout his schoolin'.




"Well, you know the man wasn't a king. Yes, he was a man & his name was Martin Luther King. He was not a king like 'ole king cole or a king of a castle. His last name was King. It's his name sweety..."






My dear scrunched up his one eye & raised his eyebrow a little perplexed. "What..."





"He was a man who did a lot of good to change rules in America for people. People who weren't being treated right, by ugly mean folks, who knew no better. He was a very good man & each year Americans celebrate his Birthday together."





"Why were people mean? What did he do?"





"People sometimes don't treat each other right. It's not good & shouldn't be allowed. Martin Luther King was a powerful man who worked real hard at changing rules & laws so all people would be treated the same."




"Well....why'd someone shoot him?"





Ok, sometimes I can get too deep & real struggle to communicate in 5 year old language. I wanted to say "Because they were horrible racists who thought things were just fine, treatin' people wrong & all. They wanted to keep on hurtin' people because they liked to & thought it made them more superior!!!"




However, with restraint & simplified language I responded...

"they shot him because they were afraid of how powerful he had become & were scared of change."


"As americans we celebrate Martin Luther King's life, NOT his death. He was a very good man."






"Oooo...."




As I watched Ben's little noggin workin' & getting it. He actually was more than a little sad at learning the true story.




Then he remembered it just meant he had a day off school. Whoopee!




"Hey Mom did you know that Mario can get to this level where he jumps on the boom-bahs?"


He was off to the 5 year old conversations again & his wild stories. Hopefully, I taught him something of value that day & he'll remember it.




I'm going to the library to find some kids books about Martin Luther. (Maybe I can get some learn' too!) However, I think the fact my little 5 year old is obsessed with Skippjon Jones books now...he may go straight for those.




This was just another intellectual day with my 5 year old.


Whew, do you think I get much adult conversation? Nope...

1 comment:

  1. Sondra, with tears in my eyes, just catchin up on some of your posts..YOu have found your own style and voice here in blogland, that't for sure.:D
    Your Sons are So Very Lucky to Have A Mom like You!

    Hugs,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete