What a difference a year can make! Last year at this time, I'd given up on the thought of even container gardens. Every single last one of my veggie seedlings had died on me. This year, the hubby built three raised beds for my veggies! Isn't he the sweetest!
He enclosed it with chicken wire (to keep leaping doodle dogs out) & he added a little swinging gate! We were laughing because it did look like we were preparing for livestock in the backyard, with all the chicken wire. O, how I can only dream. There is a city ordance against poultry & swine keepin' in our area. I'd love to have some egg laying beauties otherwise.
He enclosed it with chicken wire (to keep leaping doodle dogs out) & he added a little swinging gate! We were laughing because it did look like we were preparing for livestock in the backyard, with all the chicken wire. O, how I can only dream. There is a city ordance against poultry & swine keepin' in our area. I'd love to have some egg laying beauties otherwise. I bought some pepper, tomatoe & herb plants this year. Sowed last year's beans & zuchini seeds directly in our garden soil. Wow, it's really starting to take & I couldn't be any happier!
Here's a few photos from this morning....
I smell the goodness of all the dirt and plants and thank God.(The gratitude I feel for the beginning signs of veggie success is unspeakable!) It's pure bliss and I love it! Then I spend a little prayer time in the dirt, contemplating am I bearing fruit in my walk with Christ? It is very humbling & I feel closer to God in my little garden.
Here's another little miracle..

These are seedlings I'd started in April in my bio-domes on top of the fridge. They'd all but died on me. I put them out on the deck to dry out until I could clean out the trays. Then they took! I was so excited I sowed every seed I could find! Including some yellow bell flower seeds I'd dried & stowed 2 summers ago! 
Like little babies still in incubators, I'm afraid to move them & disturb their development. I will be so pleased if these mature into hearty plants! What a sweet reward that'll be.

Like little babies still in incubators, I'm afraid to move them & disturb their development. I will be so pleased if these mature into hearty plants! What a sweet reward that'll be. 









Welcome back my friend. Your garden is doing great!!!Those squash plants will get about 2-3 ft wide..It always surprises me how big they can get.
ReplyDeleteI was wondering where you have been. I hope everything is okay!
Have a great weekend.
Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham
Raised beds are the way to go when good drainage is needed..and good soil..good to see the mulching..that will help also! Your plants look very happy! Hubby and boys did a great job! I just rottilled my garden.I am blessed will good Illinois black dirt...but also have a Garden of 'Weeden...so mulch a lot to help the weed problem cindy Illinois
ReplyDeleteEverything Looks Beautiful! Nice to see you blogging...I'm working on it..."D Maybe a blog Re-Do that my friend from Tennesee is doing for me will do the trick! I sure need some motivation these daze! Hope everything is going Wonderful with you and yours!
ReplyDeleteSunshine and Smiles,
Christine
Your garden is gorgeous. I love the shape and how easy it will be to reach everything. Great use of the space. I have to gate out my two labs also! I have four chickens and they are my babies. I love them, even if they are still to young to give me any eggs yet.
ReplyDelete