Thursday, February 18, 2010

Love or Lust, just depends.....

I love this vintage fabric, bought it at an antique store that was closing.
My blessing was a fraction of the authentic cost. Isn’t it just the sweetest? Not sure if it was once a tablecloth or curtains?

Got my Singer sewing machine out & I recycled it into this little gem of an apron.....
Very SugarPieFarmhouse or FarmGirl style, dontcha think? That’s me whipping up a chocolate treat for Valentine’s. I’m wearing every string of pearl I own. I was feeling kind of sassy & really wanted to go with the high heels. You know what I’ve learned over the years? I’m a barefoot kind of gal. There’s nothing like being barefoot in the kitchen! It’s just good for my soul, makes me humble & sure to put in an extra dash of love in whatever I’m cooking! Why fight it, it’s just who I am & I’m okay with that.


For sentimental reasons, I also love these little hearts I stitched up. Found Momma’s old button stash in my sewing supplies. They’re all still in the little plastic Fleishman’s margarine tub she stored them in. (That was back in the days when people actually stop to mend their clothes!) You can find me grinning from ear to ear fiddlin’ in this little button box. I remember some of the clothes they’re from & love those old pearl buttons, even found some tiny old rusted heart buttons! When I go thru these I always feel closer to Mom because she loved to sew also. The fabric the hearts are made from are an antique quilt I bought for a steal at a garage sale. The middle heart is part of a cross stitch my mother in law made. I tea stained it & grunged it a bit with cinnamon.

Look at what my darling bought me at an auction recently! I Love it, can’t you just feel the nostalgia of it? It has a marking on the lid that reads “H D Hull” & the side has an imprint “Leeds” on it. The auction was an English container, so I know that this old milk canister originated in Leeds, England. I love the mossy patina to it, but I’m contemplating painting it. What do you think gals? What color?

I tried to do some research on the milk container & haven’t found out a whole bunch. Other than between 1850-1930 some milk produced in that area was heavily contaminated. It was reported to have been responsible for diseases like scarlet fever, tuberculosis & infant mortality!! Wow, if that’s the case for this jug….I really want to get rid of it! Who wants a reminder of mass plagues & death on their doorstep? I’m thinking this container is newer than that though, because of it’s shape. I will probably keep it, but I don’t know. I ran into this photo, the paint technique could be cute. What do you think? I think the paint work is Pennsylvania Dutch, which really wouldn't go with an English antique. It just looks sweet to me. Maybe a farm scene or just paint it barn red with a yellow star?

Now, I know that the bible says that we shouldn’t lust. However, I found myself more than overwhelmed with temptation not to long ago. Hubby went to another auction the eve of Valentine’s & was looking to purchase this little beauty for me….

I lust for it! (Ssshhhhh!) I want an old phone like this to hang in my kitchen hallway, next to my aprons. It’s my “Doc Baker” phone! (You know, from Little House on the Prairie t.v. shows? Whenever there was trouble in Walnut Grove they ran to the farm over to ring up Doc Baker”. I want to be able to pick up this phone when I'm stressed & call my "Doc Baker" to fix it all. lol!) It isn’t good for me to long for this phone the way I that I do, but it woos me. Thank the Lord that hubby lost the bidding war & she went home with someone else! I’ve since recovered & am back to my senses. Really isn’t practical, pretty to look at, but not in my budget right now.

My next sinful desire? I lust after this baby……


I convince myself that it isn’t wrong to want it. “It’s a necessity for a scrapbooker like me.” (uh huh?) After all I’ve been using my in-laws “throw away” digital for 9 years now. It’s one of the original Fuji digital cameras & has taken a beating. The bottom of it is held closed with duct tape. That is the only way to hold the AA batteries inside, for it to work. I have had so many folks comment or “pity” me for that bad looking camera. All I have to say is, it still captures images & they may not be the finest quality…but they’re preserving memories. I rotate between my duct tape camera & my Iphone camera app. (Yes, that’s why my blogger photos are so bad.) I opened a savings account about a month ago to tuck away for the purchase of the Canon Rebel DSLR. I figured I can throw in matching money on my coupon clippings & pocket change to the account. One day, I hope to own this camera.

I love photography & have a wonderful 35mm camera. However, I’ve grown very rusty in the techniques of using it & so it remains buried in my closet. I borrow hubby’s 35mm from time to time. It’s a Pentax spotmatic F, circa 1963. It takes the most awesome photos! Even though the lens is dented from dropping it in the mountains & it needs a good crankin’ to focus. (It feels almost like a car without power steering, moving that lens around. He,he!) The bad news is that almost no one locally develops real film these days. If they do, it’s costly & time consuming. What a shame, because sometimes the authentic 35mm photos are the best. Don't plan on building myself a darkroom or buying the costly chemicals to process my own film. So, looks like I'm leaning more towards the digital photography.

Now that I've shared all my material, earthly loves & lusts, here are where my real treasures are....
I'm so richly blessed for all the love in my life...

6 comments:

  1. I love that apron...you did a great job! I think the idea of the barn red paint & star on the old milk canister sounds great! Your little hearts are just to cute & using your moms old buttons is a great idea! I just love old buttons=) I really enjoyed reading your post...I hope you get your new camera soon! Have a great Friday!
    Hugs,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post cracked me up! LOL
    I love to go barefoot too! I LOVE love LOVE your apron! OOOOO so cute, and I want to make aprons out of my retro table cloths that have holes and stains in them. I love your pearls btw.... :-D
    Your Lust/Loves are kind of like mine right now. We are looking at a new camera, but instead of telephone, I want new kitchen/familyroom flooring.....lol
    I love your milk can. ooooo, and the hearts! I love them! I made some out of an old quilt too. You can just feel "love" in them. I am very fond of your smaller cross stitched one, and I adore the old buttons. I know what you mean about them. Lots of memories in an old button huh.
    Enjoy your day.
    Mercy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sondra, I just had to leave a comment on your blog ( I E-mailed too:) but, had to leave a public comment about what a really wonderful thing you did for me!:D I was so excited to see the Southern Living Magazine, but, when I saw the wonderful handmade "vintage look states" apron you sent, Wow! It's Adorable, and I will cherish it, because it came from your generous heart! I am So proud to say that I know you! Your generosity proves the love of our lord lives! And you are my blessing! You surely know what your Real Blessings are! And your Family is very lucky to have YOu! You are Truly a Blessing! Oh, and I would like to add, just saw your pic above, and on the sillier side...I think we've both been Really Blessed "D, that's what my husband says to me "D anyway. We could be twins, that is if my twin looked like Amy Adams, you know the gal that played Julie in Julie Julia...you've been told that before right? Well She resembles you anyway, she is just not as pretty.:D
    Keep on Sewing those pretty little Aprons, and Just being you!

    Sending you Sunshine and A great Big Warm Hug!
    Talk to you again real soon!
    Your BFF,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog!

    Many thanks for stopping by and for the comments. Clive gets professionally groomed every six weeks. But I also brush and comb him every day and also use horse hair conditioner on his coat (which helps to keep it from matting). The stables where Murray rides recommended the horse hair conditioner and it works really well. I have a variety of brushes I use on his coat but the most successful have been ordinary hair brushes I have bought for him as he doesn't like a lot of the dog grooming brushes. He is very body sensitive and also likes a soft brush.

    We have to keep his face very full (as in the photos) as that is how Murray expects him to look and the one time we got him tightly clipped - Murray was upset for weeks after until it grew back!

    Sydney looks a gorgerous dog - it's really incredible isn't it - the fantastic effect these dogs can have on children with autism.

    kind regards
    Murray's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that milk can, I love that phone and I LOVE your blog, Sugar Pie! I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I the love is very important for every one and if you need and extra help just Buy viagra

    ReplyDelete