Today the boys & I went to the library. Our's has the best summer programs. They had a performance theater present an adapted version of 'The Little Engine That Could'. Moms & kids all enjoyed it. Jo loved all the creative costume changes & Ben loved the front row antics.
On the way home I dropped some extensive paper work, in the hopes Jo qualifies for a scholarship to summer camp. The program is specific to special needs children in our area & was highly recommended by a fellow autism mommy. This is the one area that I get sad about every summer. He can't attend regular summer camps because of his sensitivity to loud noises, social skills delays & unpredictable behavior. Ben can attend regular summer camps-but they don't want to be separated.
Even regular VBS programs are tough on Jo. This year I attempted to have them experience a small community church's VBS together. I explained our situation & my desire to attend alongside Jo. They were extremely cooperative & it was so much fun for all 3 of us! It took a lot of work & coordination on my part. Quite honestly, there were many days I didn't have the energy to go, but I pushed past it for the kids. We missed the last day, but it was a good effort.
After we dropped the application/paper work off, we got jr. ice cream cones from Braum's & went "country driving". The drive was actually my impromptu idea. Ben had been especially trying today & when I watched him in the rear view mirror his eyes were beginning to droop. I thought the drive would give him a much needed nap. The drive turned into a rural mailbox adventure. I get such a kick outta funny farm mailboxes! So I went on a photo shoot of sorts.
The boys caught on quick & began to get very excited about the chase. (No sir, no nap for Ben...sigh) There were a few times I had to back up or pull into a ditch to get the shots. Check these out.The Heifer box...

Yeppers, I stopped the SUV & jumped out to get a close up of this feller! The ornery persistent look on his face is priceless! Plus the fact the guy stands up while drivin' that tractor!! I thought about an angry farmer chasing me away with the family shot gun. Since I wasn't a pistol packing Mama, I ran & jumped back to the safety of my trusted Chevy!! "Hold on boys", while I drove away speedily!
I've airbrushed all the house numbers off the boxes to keep the folk's privacy & all. At least I can say I was respectful in that way.
Further on down the road I caught the purdiest sight. I heart this place & their patriotic pride! My, O, my, it makes my heart swell! Beautiful!!!


Now, let's see...if I had the equipment, time, money & nanny-I can almost smell a coffee table book deal!!!! I'm just sayin.... Aww, shucks, a girl can dream!





oh you must join us on the Barn Chick Post! just repeat this exact post if you wish! love it! thanks for coming by -let me know if you want me me to post your link...
ReplyDeleteKaren
I have signed you up as an official Barn Chick- thanks-
ReplyDeleteKaren
My first time over her to visit. Summer has been a whirlwind and I've not been able to keep up with blog readig like I do in the winter. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me fun comments. I've enjoyed them all. And your blog is a joy to read! You made me laugh and smile, too.
ReplyDeleteI loved the mailbox photos. We live rurually, but the PO has made it easier on them and we have communal boxes instead, so we have no opportunities to personalize our mailboxes. Too sad! The Action Joe Tractor mailbox cracked me up! lol! Looks like he's giving the grass an evil eye. hah! I like the chicken box ,too. Cute!
I could also commiserate with your son Jo, as my 7 yr old daughter has Aspergers and OCD. It's surely a challenge to give our special kids a great life while making sure they're not overwhelmed with it all. Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job. :)
Oh! And that last house/barn is great! I've always been impressed with the Texas Pride. I was born in Corpus Christi, Texas, so I suppose you could say I'm a Texan, too. But my heart belongs to New Mexico now.
~Lisa
I love whimsical mailboxes.
ReplyDeleteI bought a jumbo box for myself last fall and DH says he'll turn it into a barn box, complete with silo for my birthday. (He is running out of time.)